"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What is Prayer? The Small Catechism

Luther’s Small Catechism (as well as the Large Catechism) is a treasure trove when it comes to prayer. In the explanation of the Lord’s Prayer (1943 edition) it says:

“What is Prayer?”

Prayer is an act of worship wherein we bring our petitions before God with our hearts and lips and offer up praise and thanksgiving to Him.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. "

Psalm 19:14

"And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. "

Matthew 6:7


"LORD, you hear the desire of the afflicted; you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear."
Psalm 10:17

"Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear. "
Isaiah 65:24

0 comments: