"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."

Monday, September 1, 2008

Ready to Listen Always

Last week was very eventful on many fronts. Barak Obama accepted the Democratic Nomination becoming the first African American to run for president. Senator McCain picked his running mate, Governor Sarah Palin from Alaska, making her the first Republican woman on a national ticket. Then today, Hurricane Gustav is slamming the Gulf Coast states. Not a boring week if you like to watch Fox News.

On a more personal level, we're been in school for a week. The routine for another year of learning is being created. Kids are seeing their friends again. Teachers are getting to know their new students. Parents are finding all kinds of volunteer opportunities.

The Lutheran Hour devotion for August 31 reminds me of the simplicity of prayer. So often we make prayer more complicated and the consequence is that prayer doesn't happen.

Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries

"Ready To Listen"

August 31, 2008

But Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the Kingdom of heaven." Matthew 19:14

People like pastors to pray with them. At least some people do. Maybe they think a pastor has a more direct line. We don't, but we do like to pray.

Some years ago, I was on the phone and talking with a friend. During the course of the conversation he asked me to have a prayer with him over the phone. I had just begun with, "Dear Lord," when my daughter came in.

Overhearing that "Dear Lord", she stopped in her tracks, and without any kind of smile said, "Is that God on the phone, daddy? If it is, don't let Him hang up when you're done, I've got a couple of things I need to talk to Him about, too."

Did you smile at that story? I'm glad you did. You probably smiled because you recognized that, as a little child, she believed God was really right there, and He really wanted to listen to her prayer.

Since that day, I've drawn a great deal of contentment from the knowledge that my daughter, without any kind of sophistication, had a better understanding of God than her daddy, the preacher.

She knew what I sometimes forget: God really is ready to listen. Maybe you've forgotten that, too.

Which is why, if you have felt that God is distant in your life, or if you think He has stopped paying attention to your prayers, I'd like you to think of my daughter.

Even more, because of Jesus and the reunion His life, death and resurrection have brought about, God is really there, and He is ready to listen to His children. Because of the Savior, your heavenly Father wants to know what you have to say.

The truth is: God doesn't hang up on you. If you've got something to say to Him, He's ready to listen to you.


From a devotion originally written for "By the Way"

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, thank You for always being ready to listen to me. I am comforted and strengthened in the knowledge that You will, because of Jesus, never hang up on me. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

0 comments: